Get it on Google Play
New! Download Unionpedia on your Android™ device!
Faster access than browser!

Earthworks (engineering)

Index Earthworks (engineering)

Earthworks are engineering works created through the processing of parts of the earth's surface involving quantities of soil or unformed rock. [1]

46 relations: Backhoe, Berm, Bridge, Bulldozer, Canal, Causeway, Civil engineering software, Computer, Contour trenching, Cut (earthmoving), Cut and fill, Defensive wall, Dragline excavator, Drainage, Dredging, Dump truck, Earth structure, Engineering, Fill dirt, Fortification, Fresno scraper, Gabion, Geotechnical engineering, Grader, Grading (engineering), Heavy equipment, Hillfort, Keyline design, Land restoration, Levee, Loader (equipment), Military engineering, Moat, Motte-and-bailey castle, Rail transport, Road, Rock (geology), Simpson's rule, Slide rule, Sod, Soil, Spoil tip, Terrace (agriculture), Topsoil, Trench warfare, Wheel tractor-scraper.


A backhoe — also called rear actor or back actor — is a type of excavating equipment, or digger, consisting of a digging bucket on the end of a two-part articulated arm.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Backhoe · See more »


A berm is a level space, shelf, or raised barrier (usually made of compacted soil) separating two areas.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Berm · See more »


A bridge is a structure built to span physical obstacles without closing the way underneath such as a body of water, valley, or road, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Bridge · See more »


A bulldozer is a crawler (continuous tracked tractor) equipped with a substantial metal plate (known as a blade) used to push large quantities of soil, sand, rubble, or other such material during construction or conversion work and typically equipped at the rear with a claw-like device (known as a ripper) to loosen densely compacted materials.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Bulldozer · See more »


Canals, or navigations, are human-made channels, or artificial waterways, for water conveyance, or to service water transport vehicles.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Canal · See more »


In modern usage, a causeway is a road or railway on top of an embankment usually across a broad body of water or wetland.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Causeway · See more »

Civil engineering software

Many software programs are available for each discipline of civil engineering.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Civil engineering software · See more »


A computer is a device that can be instructed to carry out sequences of arithmetic or logical operations automatically via computer programming.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Computer · See more »

Contour trenching

Contour trenching is an agricultural technique that can be easily applied in arid sub-Sahara areas to allow for water, and soil conservation, and to increase agricultural production.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Contour trenching · See more »

Cut (earthmoving)

In civil engineering, a cut or cutting is where soil or rock material from a relative rise (elevated landscape) to an earlier section of the route is cut out to make way for a further section of the route, whether canal, road or railway line.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Cut (earthmoving) · See more »

Cut and fill

In earthmoving, cut and fill is the process of constructing a railway, road or canal whereby the amount of material from cuts roughly matches the amount of fill needed to make nearby embankments, so minimizing the amount of construction labor.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Cut and fill · See more »

Defensive wall

A defensive wall is a fortification usually used to protect a city, town or other settlement from potential aggressors.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Defensive wall · See more »

Dragline excavator

A dragline excavator is a piece of heavy equipment used in civil engineering and surface mining.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Dragline excavator · See more »


Drainage is the natural or artificial removal of a surface's water and sub-surface water from an area.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Drainage · See more »


Dredging is an excavation activity usually carried out underwater, in harbours, shallow seas or freshwater areas with the purpose of gathering up bottom sediments to deepen or widen the sea bottom / channel.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Dredging · See more »

Dump truck

A dump truck (known in the UK as a dumper/tipper truck) is a truck used for transporting loose material (such as sand, gravel, or demolition waste) for construction.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Dump truck · See more »

Earth structure

An earth structure is a building or other structure made largely from soil.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Earth structure · See more »


Engineering is the creative application of science, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to the innovation, design, construction, operation and maintenance of structures, machines, materials, devices, systems, processes, and organizations.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Engineering · See more »

Fill dirt

Fill dirt is earthy material which is used to fill in a depression or hole in the ground or create mounds or otherwise artificially change the grade or elevation of real property.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Fill dirt · See more »


A fortification is a military construction or building designed for the defense of territories in warfare; and is also used to solidify rule in a region during peacetime.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Fortification · See more »

Fresno scraper

Fresno Scraper (Patent Application). The front drawbar is pulled by two horses, and pulls the scraper proper behind it, while the operator walks behind controlling the depth of scrape with the handle Fresno scrapers in use building the Miocene Ditch near Nome, Alaska The Fresno Scraper is a machine pulled by horses used for constructing canals and ditches in sandy soil.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Fresno scraper · See more »


A gabion (from Italian gabbione meaning "big cage"; from Italian gabbia and Latin cavea meaning "cage") is a cage, cylinder, or box filled with rocks, concrete, or sometimes sand and soil for use in civil engineering, road building, military applications and landscaping.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Gabion · See more »

Geotechnical engineering

Geotechnical engineering is the branch of civil engineering concerned with the engineering behavior of earth materials.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Geotechnical engineering · See more »


A grader, also commonly referred to as a road grader or a motor grader, is a construction machine with a long blade used to create a flat surface during the grading process.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Grader · See more »

Grading (engineering)

Grading in civil engineering and landscape architectural construction is the work of ensuring a level base, or one with a specified slope, for a construction work such as a foundation, the base course for a road or a railway, or landscape and garden improvements, or surface drainage.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Grading (engineering) · See more »

Heavy equipment

Heavy equipment refers to heavy-duty vehicles, specially designed for executing construction tasks, most frequently ones involving earthwork operations.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Heavy equipment · See more »


A hillfort is a type of earthworks used as a fortified refuge or defended settlement, located to exploit a rise in elevation for defensive advantage.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Hillfort · See more »

Keyline design

Keyline design is a landscaping technique of maximizing the beneficial use of the water resources of a tract of land.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Keyline design · See more »

Land restoration

Land restoration is the process of ecological restoration of a site to a natural landscape and habitat, safe for humans, wildlife, and plant communities.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Land restoration · See more »



New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Levee · See more »

Loader (equipment)

A loader is a heavy equipment machine used in construction to move aside or load materials such as asphalt, demolition debris, dirt, snow, feed, gravel, logs, raw minerals, recycled material, rock, sand, woodchips, etc.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Loader (equipment) · See more »

Military engineering

Military engineering is loosely defined as the art, science, and practice of designing and building military works and maintaining lines of military transport and communications.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Military engineering · See more »


A moat is a deep, broad ditch, either dry or filled with water, that is dug and surrounds a castle, fortification, building or town, historically to provide it with a preliminary line of defence.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Moat · See more »

Motte-and-bailey castle

A motte-and-bailey castle is a fortification with a wooden or stone keep situated on a raised earthwork called a motte, accompanied by an enclosed courtyard, or bailey, surrounded by a protective ditch and palisade.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Motte-and-bailey castle · See more »

Rail transport

Rail transport is a means of transferring of passengers and goods on wheeled vehicles running on rails, also known as tracks.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Rail transport · See more »


A road is a thoroughfare, route, or way on land between two places that has been paved or otherwise improved to allow travel by foot or some form of conveyance, including a motor vehicle, cart, bicycle, or horse.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Road · See more »

Rock (geology)

Rock or stone is a natural substance, a solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Rock (geology) · See more »

Simpson's rule

In numerical analysis, Simpson's rule is a method for numerical integration, the numerical approximation of definite integrals.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Simpson's rule · See more »

Slide rule

The slide rule, also known colloquially in the United States as a slipstick, is a mechanical analog computer.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Slide rule · See more »


Sod or turf is grass and the part of the soil beneath it held together by its roots or another piece of thin material.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Sod · See more »


Soil is a mixture of organic matter, minerals, gases, liquids, and organisms that together support life.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Soil · See more »

Spoil tip

A spoil tip (also called a spoil bank, boney pile, gob pile, bing, batch, boney dump or pit heap) is a pile built of accumulated spoil – the overburden or other waste rock removed during coal and ore mining.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Spoil tip · See more »

Terrace (agriculture)

In agriculture, a terrace is a piece of sloped plane that has been cut into a series of successively receding flat surfaces or platforms, which resemble steps, for the purposes of more effective farming.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Terrace (agriculture) · See more »


Topsoil is the upper, outermost layer of soil, usually the top to.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Topsoil · See more »

Trench warfare

Trench warfare is a type of land warfare using occupied fighting lines consisting largely of military trenches, in which troops are well-protected from the enemy's small arms fire and are substantially sheltered from artillery.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Trench warfare · See more »

Wheel tractor-scraper

In civil engineering, a wheel tractor-scraper is a piece of heavy equipment used for earthmoving.

New!!: Earthworks (engineering) and Wheel tractor-scraper · See more »

Redirects here:

Earthenworks, Earthmoving, Earthwork castle.


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworks_(engineering)

Hey! We are on Facebook now! »