Get it on Google Play
New! Download Unionpedia on your Android™ device!
Faster access than browser!

Tongue and groove

Index Tongue and groove

Tongue and groove is a method of fitting similar objects together, edge to edge, used mainly with wood, in flooring, parquetry, panelling, and similar constructions. [1]

29 relations: Cabinetry, Carpentry, Concrete, Dovetail joint, Engineered wood, Flooring, Fluting (architecture), Formwork, Framing (construction), Groove (joinery), Larssen sheet piling, Miter joint, Moulder, Nail (fastener), Panelling, Parquetry, Plane (tool), Plywood, Pulley, Rabbet, Router (woodworking), Siding, Stuffing box, Table saw, Wood, Wood glue, Wood shaper, Woodworking, Woodworking joints.


A cabinet is a box-shaped piece of furniture with doors and/or drawers for storing miscellaneous items.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Cabinetry · See more »


Carpentry is a skilled trade in which the primary work performed is the cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork, etc.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Carpentry · See more »


Concrete, usually Portland cement concrete, is a composite material composed of fine and coarse aggregate bonded together with a fluid cement (cement paste) that hardens over time—most frequently a lime-based cement binder, such as Portland cement, but sometimes with other hydraulic cements, such as a calcium aluminate cement.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Concrete · See more »

Dovetail joint

A dovetail joint or simply dovetail is a joinery technique most commonly used in woodworking joinery (carpentry) including furniture, cabinets.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Dovetail joint · See more »

Engineered wood

Engineered wood, also called composite wood, man-made wood, or manufactured board, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding or fixing the strands, particles, fibres, or veneers or boards of wood, together with adhesives, or other methods of fixation to form composite materials.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Engineered wood · See more »


Flooring is the general term for a permanent covering of a floor, or for the work of installing such a floor covering.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Flooring · See more »

Fluting (architecture)

Fluting in architecture is the shallow grooves running vertically along a surface.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Fluting (architecture) · See more »


Formwork is temporary or permanent molds into which concrete or similar materials are poured.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Formwork · See more »

Framing (construction)

Framing, in construction, is the fitting together of pieces to give a structure support and shape.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Framing (construction) · See more »

Groove (joinery)

In joinery, a groove is a slot or trench cut into a member which runs parallel to the grain.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Groove (joinery) · See more »

Larssen sheet piling

Larssen sheet piling is a kind of sheet piling retaining wall.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Larssen sheet piling · See more »

Miter joint

A miter joint (mitre in British English), sometimes shortened to miter, is a joint made by beveling each of two parts to be joined, usually at a 45° angle, to form a corner, usually a 90° angle.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Miter joint · See more »


A moulder is a shaper used to shape wood with profiled cutters (also known as knives, and blades).

New!!: Tongue and groove and Moulder · See more »

Nail (fastener)

In woodworking and construction, a nail is a pin-shaped object of metal (or wood, called a tree nail or "trunnel") which is used as a fastener, as a peg to hang something, or sometimes as a decoration.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Nail (fastener) · See more »


Panelling (or paneling in the U.S.) is a millwork wall covering constructed from rigid or semi-rigid components.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Panelling · See more »


Parquet (from the French "a small compartment") is a geometric mosaic of wood pieces used for decorative effect in flooring.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Parquetry · See more »

Plane (tool)

A hand plane is a tool for shaping wood using muscle power to force the cutting blade over the wood surface.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Plane (tool) · See more »


Plywood is a sheet material manufactured from thin layers or "plies" of wood veneer that are glued together with adjacent layers having their wood grain rotated up to 90 degrees to one another.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Plywood · See more »


A pulley is a wheel on an axle or shaft that is designed to support movement and change of direction of a taut cable or belt, or transfer of power between the shaft and cable or belt.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Pulley · See more »


A rabbet or rebate is a recess or groove cut into the edge of a piece of machinable material, usually wood.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Rabbet · See more »

Router (woodworking)

A router (also) is a hand tool or power tool that a worker uses to rout (hollow out) an area in relatively hard material like wood or plastic.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Router (woodworking) · See more »


Siding or wall cladding is the protective material attached to the exterior side of a wall of a house or other building.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Siding · See more »

Stuffing box

A stuffing box is an assembly which is used to house a gland seal.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Stuffing box · See more »

Table saw

A table saw or sawbench is a woodworking tool, consisting of a circular saw blade, mounted on an arbor, that is driven by an electric motor (either directly, by belt, or by gears).

New!!: Tongue and groove and Table saw · See more »


Wood is a porous and fibrous structural tissue found in the stems and roots of trees and other woody plants.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Wood · See more »

Wood glue

Wood glue is an adhesive used to tightly bond pieces of wood together.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Wood glue · See more »

Wood shaper

A wood shaper, usually just shaper in North America or spindle moulder in the UK, is a stationary woodworking machine in which a vertically oriented spindle drives cutter heads to mill profiles on wood stock.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Wood shaper · See more »


Woodworking is the activity or skill of making items from wood, and includes cabinet making (cabinetry and furniture), wood carving, joinery, carpentry, and woodturning.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Woodworking · See more »

Woodworking joints

Joinery is a part of woodworking that involves joining together pieces of timber or lumber, to produce more complex items.

New!!: Tongue and groove and Woodworking joints · See more »

Redirects here:

Tongue & groove, Tongue in groove joint, Tongue-and-groove.


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_and_groove

Hey! We are on Facebook now! »